Monday, April 27, 2009

jazzfest...

"What is it you love about music."
"To begin with, everything."
-Almost Famous

In my life, there are a few constants. One of those, is my absolute love for music. There's just something about it that so captivates my soul. Maybe it's just the way I grew up...listening to all kinds of stuff, from classic rock on vinyl to country music on the radio. Here's a shout out to my mama and pops for educating me so well on the joys of the beatles, elton john, ted nugent, pat benatar, captain and taneal, cheap trick, and so many others.

New Orleans has a great music scene. And I happened upon an opportunity to work at JazzFest, a yearly music festival that brings thousands of musicians to 12 stages to perform for two weekends. Kind of like Woodstock, except that this is JazzFest's 40th year, and Woodstock only happened once. I'm a dressing room manager for the blues tent, and let me just tell you, it's great. It's been awesome being part of the behind the scenes, backstage crew. It's been amazing meeting musicians that have been playing for decades. It's been interesting seeing the lifestyles and personalities of all the musicans that come through my stage. It's definitely busy, draining, exhausting, but totally worth it.

No comments: